Wednesday, September 13, 2006

BELLE

I feel like I am in a fantasy, still. After almost a week of living in Spain, it still does not seem real...un sueno (a dream).
Sevilla rests in the southwest corner of Spain. Like Arizona or Neveda this time of year, Sevilla is EXTREMELY hot (right now). At night, I sleep on top of my covers with the windows wide open-and still it's hot. The warm-colored paint and balconies add character to the buildings... and the narrow cobblestone streets make me feel like I am placed back in time. During Monday's orientation a professor said, "Most Sevillans have lived in this city their whole lives-they do not desire to leave because they think Sevilla is a taste of heaven..." I smirked when he said that because it is kind of the truth...
There are way too many places to sit around, talk life, drink coffee, smoke cloves, take pictures, walk around, and just relax...the fact that most Sevillan stores shut down in the afternoon proves my point.
Since I have been here, I've been very adventurous. I've walked all over the city (I live in the central, which is an awesome location). Highlights of the trip so far include watching a flamenco show, trip to the Masca. beaches (went mini cliff jumping), touring the Alcazar palace, main Cathedral, and old Jewish neighboorhood. Getting to know the other students has been a pretty interesting experience as well...it's been really healthy to be placed outside of my comfort zone...we'll leave it at that.
...I am sure this question is lingering in ya'lls mind..."Is she homesick?" Anwser: Yes and No. This city is amazing...using my Spanish about 70-80% of the time has been awesome...living my dream has been incredible...but, not having church fellowship like what I had at college and at home has bothered me...but it's ok. I haven't given up looking for a church community and will not until I have.
Enjoy the pictures below. They are all from my tour of the Alcazar palace and Cathedral.

If you want to leave a comment on my post but are not a member of blogger- click comment-type entry and then click the circle by the "anonymous" option (but end your comment with your name so I know who wrote it).

Until next week sending lots of love...

p.s. In 2-3 weeks there will be 40,000 college students coming to SEVILLE...heck yes, I can't wait to make friends from all over the world!

2 comments:

aesthetic realist said...

one in the morning...and I'm tired of studying. I need to call somebody. everybody is sleeping. ha!

was good visiting yesterday.

your pictures are amazing.

40,000 students? whattheheck?

what do you think of Spanish coffee?

ok...forget this, I'm just going to write an email.

Anonymous said...

Maleah! How exciting for you! I wish I could see Spain with you. It sounds wonderful. Miss you. Wish we could have coffee together!