Monday, October 09, 2006

Already a month...

Time keeps passing by…I meant to post this before my trip to Barcelona but the wireless network at my Senora’s house went loco.

Mom and Mark came two weekends ago…it was very refreshing to see a familiar face! Plus, the three of us had a riot running around the city and eating Spanish food. My parents also were able to meet my Senora for afternoon coffee (café con leche). I loved being interpreter! Another highlight of that weekend was going on a bus tour. I saw parts of Sevilla I never knew existed! And, just experiencing it all with them made it even better. It also felt so good to show Mom and Mark my room, school, and favorite hangout spots. We talked, laughed, and cried (when it came time to say goodbye- I guess it means so much to be missed). Unfortunately I did not take any pictures with my camera of our time together. Mark, on the other hand, went picture crazy and his camera has all kinds of pictures…

Last Monday I started salsa lessons. Two other American students and I joined the class. The teacher speaks Spanish and everyone else is Sevillan. It rocks! It is a great place to learn and practice my Spanish-PLUS I get to dance for an hour-and-half. I do this twice a week (so, tonight was lesson three: first night with partners) for a month. Then, on Thursday I met my intercambio. The Institute I attend has a program called intercambios: an American student is matched with a Spanish student. Esther is the bomb! She has studied English for a long time but never practices speaking it. We both want the same things out of the program, so I really think it will go well. I guess there is only one problem…she is a Justin Timberlake fan. But I figure this, my old roommate Sarah Micke was a Justin fanatic and we got along like two peas in a pod (throw me a bone, Micke)…haha

Class is getting harder; but I love the challenge! Today I had watched a professor make corrections to my paper-learned a lot! Then afterwards I had to continue cramming for a test. (It went really well.) My class ended with a field trip. (That's right, I said field trip!) We toured a barrio (neighborhood) called Triana. Besides being known for its history, Triana has the best ceramic shops. After touring some streets and churches, our professor brought us to an awesome ceramic shop! (I have all kinds of ideas for Christmas gifts*cough cough)...anyways, I really like my class...and I am incredibly grateful that I had Spanish in high school-all that dormant knowledge is coming to life and finally clicking…

*The trip to Barcelona deserves a post of its own*

Living in Sevilla has been quite an experience. (Almost) Everyday, I find a new place to study, hang out, or just window shop. Each weekend teaches me something new about my character, my boxed perspective, my tolerance level, my pride, and most of all my dependence on God… Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

aesthetic realist said...

Salsa :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Maleah,

Why in the world have we not talked yet and we are both in Europe! I just got back from France and it was Trey Bien! How has Spain been?

To make it quick, I am planning my Christmas break travels right now and am wondering if you are going to be around in the later part of December.

Hope all is well, and the best way to respond would be on Facebook.

Later,
Mr. Colton Thompson (from DK)

Anonymous said...

Hey pretty lady! I'm so glad that you are doing well! I can't believe that you're learning to salsa dance... lucky! ;-) I'm so glad that you enjoyed your time with your mom and Mark. Talk to you soon! xoxoxo Love you!

~Always Kate